tisdag 26 november 2019

What do we Know of King David's Mother? How does this apply to the Blessed Virgin?


We may have doubt on her being named Nitzevet or Nitsebeth (presumably in the spelling we are used to for names like Elizabeth), but in my case, they are not very serious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitzevet

However, she is, not "named", but given a mention twice in the Bible:

And David went thence to Mizpeh of Moab: and he said unto the king of Moab, Let my father and my mother, I pray thee, come forth, and be with you, till I know what God will do for me. I Kings (I Samuel) 22

King David was concerned with his mother's safety.

Now, to Christ, the safest thing is to do the Father's will, to stay away from sin.

Guess what He would have wanted to protect His mother from? Original sin.

Here is the other thing:

Turn to me and have mercy on me; show your strength in behalf of your servant; save me, because I serve you just as my mother did. Or : O look upon me, and have mercy on me: give thy command to thy servant, and save the son of thy handmaid. Ps 85:16

So, King David's serving God is compared to King David's mother serving Him.

And in one translation, it is even same words as the Blessed Virgin used.

But Our Lord served God without the least sin ever. Therefore we can conclude, so did the Blessed Virgin.

As an Atheist of Hebrew origin once told my mother, or more than once : if there's something special about Jesus, there's something special about Mary.

Hans Georg Lundahl
St. Maur
Abbot St. Silvester
26.XI.2019

Apud Fabrianum, in Piceno, beati Silvestri Abbatis, Institutoris Congregationis Monachorum Silvestrinorum.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar